Saturday, January 30, 2010

Kitchen Frenzy

It is cold and snowy, just look at my backyard! I am also trying to take it easy this weekend because I am still feeling sick (!). What is one to do in bad weather when feeling a bit under the weather? For me, making stuff in the kitchen.

On Friday I made a strawberry-rhubarb crisp, with strawberries and rhubarb I picked MYSELF last summer and then froze. I sort of forgot about them, but they turned out fine baked up. I am still perfecting the recipe, so I will post it later.

On Saturday, I decided to make candied grapefruit peel. The recipe is from The Glass Pantry by Gorgeanne Brennan. Even if you don't cook, you should get this book - the pictures are so pretty and the food is so interesting! The grapefuit peels (pith and all) are boiled in water, then in sugar syrup and set out overnight so they aren't so sticky.
After that, they get coated in sugar.
I decided to coat half in chocolate, as I had a hunch it would be delicious.
I was right! The regular ones are very good, but BB and I think the chocolate covered ones are the best.








On Sunday, I made braised and glazed brussel sprouts and stuck pot rice. Both were from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bitman. I messed up the rice, forgot to add water at the right time. Instead of a crispy crust on the bottom, I got crunchy rice but I think it could be better. I am going to try this recipe again! The brussel sprouts were so good! All you have to do is add brussel sprouts, butter, salt, pepper, and water to a pan and cover to boil. Then uncover and shake the pan occasionally while the water evaporates. The recipe called for water, broth, or wine. I didn't have broth or wine but I definitely want to try a nice white wine next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment