Sunday, March 27, 2011

Staples

Everyone has a few different recipes that they make again and again. Here are two of my staples: Quinoa Salad with Lime Dressing and Avocado Sandwich

Quinoa Salad with Lime Dressing


When I lived in California, I used to get the black bean quinoa salad from Rainbow Bridge in Ojai. This recipe is the best I have found to recreate what I used to get. In fact, it might even be better!

First, make the lime soy dressing (recipe from The New Soy Cookbook). Start the quinoa cooking. Add I can black beans, rinsed, to a large bowl. Dice 1 bell pepper, preferably red, and add to the bowl. Dice half a red onion and add to bowl. Add some corn. Frozen, thawed is fine but fresh would be good also. Maybe 1-2 cups. When the quinoa is done, add 2 cups or so to the bowl and mix. Drizzle over 1/2-3/4 cup of the dressing, and extra lime juice, if desired. When it has cooled down a bit, add chopped cilantro to taste. I add the whole bunch. That's it! It makes a great lunch to take to work and a great dinner when it is to hot out to really cook.

Lime Soy Dressing


1/2 c. lime juice
1/3 c. olive oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. mustard (brown or Dijon)

Mix all ingredients. I add to a jar, put on the lid, and shake it up.


There are some modification ideas I have been thinking about. I want to try using marinated red onions, or a red onion pickle. This might be better for a dish to take to work for lunch, as it will take the edge off the raw onions. Cucumbers and tomatoes would be a good addition, especially in summer when local tomatoes are available. In that case, I would chop the tomatoes and cucumber and add separately the day I was going to eat it.

Another staple of mine is the Avocado Sandwich. I don't know why I make them this way, I just do and have since I can remember. People out here on the east coast often wonder what to do with avocados besides guacamole. Well, this is one of the things that I do!

Avocado Sandwich


2 slices whole wheat bread
1 ripe avocado
Mayonnaise
Lemon pepper
I lemon

Toast the bread. It must be whole wheat; it needs to be substantial enough to hold up to the avocado and I think that the nutty flavor of the whole wheat compliments the avocado. Cut the avocado in half, peel the skin, and slice. Spread mayonnaise on the toast. I know, it seems silly to add mayonnaise when you are using avocado, but it is delicious this way! Lay the slices of half the avocado on one slice of toast. Mash with a fork. Add lemon pepper and squeeze half the lemon over the avocado. Do this for both pieces of toast, and eat!















1 comment:

  1. Yum! That salad looks good, Mellein, very very good. The sandwich also looks good, but I'm wondering if it would do better with a little bacon. I may actually try that.

    ReplyDelete