Sunday, January 24, 2010

I LOVE chocolate cake!


I have a new go-to chocolate cake recipe - the chocolate stout cake from Epicurious.com. It is so easy to make; so rich, chocolaty, and moist! I made half a recipe for a 9x13 pan. I used half whole wheat (I ran out of white flour) and half brown sugar (ran out of regular sugar also, seems I really need to go to the store). A classic, Guiness, was used for the stout. For the glaze, I mixed 2/3 cup chocolate chips with 1/2 cup hot cream. This would be excellent with fresh strawberries! I am willing to make this whenever, just ask me! It would make a great birthday cake.

For dinner, BB and I had roasted fingering potatoes, kale sauteed with onions and garlic, blue cheese rosemary sauce, and carrot salad. The potatoes were simple: roasted with olive oil, salt, and pepper. The blue cheese rosemary sauce is from Vegetarian Suppers. BB often makes this to go with sauteed greens. Blue cheese and rosemary seem like a strange combination, but they work together really well. It is a wonderful accompaniment to sauteed greens, although calorie heavy as it is made with cream. The carrot salad was served over lettuce and made of sliced carrots dressed with the zest and juice of one lemon, garlic (that I grated using the microplane grater, one of my favorite kitchen tools), lemon pepper, a bit of white wine vinegar, and olive oil. I think we got enough veggies in this meal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment