Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Japanese Inspiration

Lately I seem very into Japanese things. It all started with my fascination with the paper chopstick wrapper at the sushi restaurant the other day. I liked the color combination and designs. Apparently, I am not the only one, as this website shows.

I admire Japanese aesthetics in general, but especially in knitting and music. Asobi Seksu is awesome and I have been listening to them a lot lately. As for knitting, I want this book:Although not actually Japanese, but a Scandinavian inspiration of Japanese designs. Upon reflection, I think that Japanese and Scandinavian aesthetics have some similarities. Both are sparse and simple with lots of geometric shapes, and use a lot of neutrals with strategically placed bold colors.

I keep seeing Japanese knitters on ravelry, and they impresses me very much. First of all, they seem to make the most intricate yet simple items. How is this possible? I also like how the designs can make neutral colors look so interesting. Normally, I find neutrals a bit boring. In fact, I think a bold color would take away from many of the designs.

I started to look on www.yesasia.com (a website that sells anything Asian) for books I can buy. I don't read Japanese, so will this end up being a bad idea? I hear that they chart everything, so you don't have to read. Hmm ...

I guess if it doesn't work out I can always go get more sushi so I can admire the chopstick wrappers.

No comments:

Post a Comment